White fish is one of the most common fish and one of the most popular food all over the world.
What is white fish
White fish is a cold-water benthic fish with more than 50 species and feeds on invertebrates and small fish. The white fish’s body is elongated, slightly flat, with a large head and a large mouth. The upper jaw is slightly longer than the lower jaw. The tail is tapered backward and is generally 25-40 cm long. It weighs 300-750 grams.
It has various body colors, including light green, light gray, brown, light black, dim red or bright red. Generally, the head, back and body of white fish are gray-brown, with irregular dark brown markings, and the ventral surface is gray-white. Most of them live in cold seas with water temperatures between 0 ° C and 16 ° C in the Pacific and the northern Atlantic Ocean.
Type of white fish
Whitefish are usually divided into Atlantic cod(Gadus morhua), Greenland cod(Gadus ogac) and Pacific cod(Gadus macrocephalus). Besides, it is also divided into whiting (Merluccius bilinearis), haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus), hake (Urophycis), pollock (Pollachius), and others.
Nutrition facts of white fish
The protein of white fish is higher than that of salmon, catfish, catfish, and belt fish, while it contains only 0.5% of fat like sharks, which is 17 times lower than salmon and 7 times lower than belt fish. And its liver has high oil content, it not only contains all the DHA and DPA of common fish oil, but it also contains vitamins A, D, E and other multivitamins necessary for the human body. The proportion of these nutrients in the white fish is the optimal ratio of the body’s daily needs.
Benefit of white fish
1. White fish contains protein, minerals, vitamins and other nutrients, which can improve the immunity and disease resistance of the respiratory system;
2. White fish can also produce insulin, can control blood sugar, and can be used to treat diabetes;
3. White fish contain magnesium, which can maintain the excitability of bones and muscles and can effectively protect cardiovascularly and prevent cardiovascular diseases.
Besides, modern medical research proves that white fish liver oil can also inhibit Mycobacterium tuberculosis and reduce the incidence of rhinitis.
Tips for Buying White Fish
1. Whitefish slices are usually oval in shape;
2. Good white fish has clear lines (dense and flexible meat);
3. Good white fish scales are clear, indicating that the fish is fresh;
4. The cut surface of white fish is white (occasionally with a slight brown, which does not affect the quality);
5. With reference to the normal cod prices in the local market, you can help buy good cod.
White fish recipes
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1 white fish
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 clove garlic
How to cook white fish
1. Remove fish scales and wash them well. Put the fish in a bowl, add black pepper, light soy sauce and garlic. Marinate it for 20 minutes.
2. Heat a wok with butter, add the fish.
3. Fry the fish under the middle heat for 3 minutes. Turn over the fish, fry for another 3 minutes until golden. Transfer it on a plate and serve.
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 5g butter
- 1 white fish
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- Remove fish scales and wash them well. Put the fish in a bowl, add black pepper, light soy sauce and garlic. Marinate it for 20 minutes.
- Heat a wok with butter, add the fish.
- Fry the fish under the middle heat for 3 minutes. Turn over the fish, fry for another 3 minutes until golden. Transfer it on a plate and serve.